I once had a teacher in my district relate to me how she painstakingly copy/pastes every student and parent email address from PowerTeacher into her Google Contacts. She got me thinking, "about 10 classes X 25 students X 4 quarters X however many teachers do this = There has to be a better way."
Enter Google Contacts Mover, a simple way for teachers to export student demographic data out of PowerSchool and import into Google Contacts.
The process looks like this.
- In PowerTeacher go to the Reports page for a class.
- There is a link at the bottom "Download this class for import into Google contacts". Click that and a file titled "import4google.csv" downloads.
- Open up Contacts in your Google account, click the More button then Import. Upload the import4google.csv file.
- Repeat for each class you would like to have in Google.
This process creates a two new contact groups for each class labeled "Course#-Section#-Students" and "Course#-Section#-Parents".
Each contact in the Students group will have the following contact info:
- Student Name
- Student email addres (newer built in PS student email field)
- Birthday (dob field)
- Home phone (home_phone field)
- Home address (street, city, state, zip fields)
- Mother and father's name (mother and father fields)
Each contact in the Parents group will have the same info except for the email addresses being the guardianemail field.
Having seperate contact groups allows teachers to easily mass email students, parents or both.
The package contains:
import4google.csv - this is the file that makes it all happen. (Required)
reports.html - adds the link at the bottom of the class Reports page. (Required)
googlecontacts.html - instructions walking teacher through the export/import process. (optional)
googlecontacts1-6.jpg - images for the teacher instructions. (optional)
home.html - adds a link to the instructions at the bottom of the PowerTeacher home page. (optional)
- Users should not run the Google function to "Find and Merge Duplicates" after importing contacts. This would combine the student and parent entries. This is stated in the included teacher directions.
- The .zip file contains a tutorial page for teachers. This is not required, it is included for convenience. If your already customizing the PowerTeacher home page you can copy the tutorial link and integrate into your existing home page.
- If you import the .zip file into custom page management the tutorial images will not get uploaded. Just the way CPM behaves.
So you will have to upload them individually to your image server.
2.1 - I acidentally uploaded the version that my district was using, not the one for public consumption! Who is running this site geesh! Corrected in this version to pull from the built in student email field.
2.0 - Split csv import into two contact groups instead of combining student & parent emails in the same entry. Updated teacher directions to reflect this change.
1.1 - Minor update to accommodate changes in PS version 7.8.2.
1.0 - Initial release (based on PS version 7.6.2).